Benefits of Working for OSHPD
Discover the Benefits...
As a state agency, we are committed to providing our employees with more than a paycheck. In addition to competitive public employee wages, our employees enjoy meaningful and interesting work and a comprehensive benefits package that is designed to meet the needs of today's workforce.
Health and Well-Being
- Health Insurance - Choose from a variety of health benefit plans for you and your family. The state may pay up to 100 percent of the premiums depending on the plan selected.
- Dental Insurance - Employees and their eligible dependents can choose the dental plan right for them. The state may pay higher percentages of the premiums depending on the plan selected.
- Vision Care Insurance - As a state employee, you are automatically enrolled into the state's Vision Program.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Most EAP benefits are free to state employees and their families. These benefits include confidential consultation, assessment, and referrals, as well as support groups, wellness programs, and noontime meetings and seminars.
Paid and Unpaid Leaves
- Holidays - 11 paid holidays per year, plus one personal holiday.
- Sick Leave - Earn sick leave each month to provide income protection in the event of illness or injury.
- Vacation - Earn vacation leave each year based upon years of employment.
- Bereavement Leave - As a state employee, you are allowed paid time off if a member of your immediate family dies.
- Family, Parental, and Other Leave - Up to one-year of unpaid leave.
- Jury Duty - In general, if you are called for jury duty, you serve with no loss of pay as long as you remit to the state any fees received for jury duty.
- Military Leave - Up to 30 calendar days with pay for military leave each year if you meet specific requirements.
Savings and Retirement Plans
- Retirement Plans - A choice of plans to help you meet your goals. Your pension grows as your career grows with us. Visit CalPERS for more information.
- Savings Plus - In addition to our Retirement Plans, the state offers a 457 Deferred Compensation plan and a 401K plan for customized savings. Visit CalPERS deferred compensation for more information on savings plus plans.
- ScholarShare Program - Tax deferred college savings for your children.
- Credit Union - Credit Union membership is open to all of our employees.
- Flex Elect - Receive extra cash if you already have medical and/or dental coverage through another source.
- Flexible Work Arrangements - In some cases, alternative work arrangements such as flextime and alternative work schedules can help employees balance career and family life.
- Group Legal Services Insurance Plan - Affordable and covers most legal situations.
- Long-Term Care - Affordable comprehensive plans available.
- Merit Salary Adjustment - Annual 5 percent increase after 12 months of satisfactory performance, as certified by your supervisor, until maximum salary is reached.
- Transfer and Advancement Opportunities - Make the most out of your state service with a wide range of desirable career options and transfer and promotional opportunities throughout California.
- And more!
This page was last updated on Friday, July 1, 2016.