Plan Review and Construction Observation
The provisions of the California Building Standards Code are not intended to prevent the installation of any material or to prohibit any design or method of construction not specifically prescribed by these codes. An alternative material, design, or method of construction may be approved where OSHPD finds that the proposed design is statisfactory and complies with the intent of the provisions of the code, and that the material, method of work offered is, for the purpose intended, at least the equivalent of that prescribed in this code in quality, strength, effectiveness, fire resistance, durability and safety.
There are three types of requests that will be reviewed by the Office.
- Request for Alternate Method of Compliance: Projects that require an alternative way of meeting the intent of the California Building Standards Code.
- Request for Alternate Method of Protection: Projects that require an alternate way of meeting the intent of the California Building Standards Code for a fire and life safety issue. These may require concurrent approval from the local fire jurisdiction.
- Request for Program Flexibility: Projects that require an alternative way of meeting the intent of the California Building Standards Code involving functional or operational considerations that are also required by the California Code of Regulations, Title 22, enforced by the California Department of Public Health, Licensing and Certification, and which require Licensing and Certification approval.
Forms to Use
This page was last updated on Monday, October 3, 2016.
- FDD Home
- About FDD
- Announcements/Updated Reports
- eServices Information
- Preapproval Programs
- Seismic Compliance
- Hospital Inspector Certification Program (HICP)
- Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs)
- Regulation Codes and Policies
- Code Application Notices (CANs) and Policy Intent Notices (PINs)
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Forms, Applications, and Reminder Lists
- Project Status Reports
- Training & Education
- Additional Information
- FDD Site Map