WinZip Files – Exe & Zip files
If WinZip is installed on your computer, follow these directions:
- Go to the website and click on the .zip file that you are attempting to download.
- When the "Run this program from its current location" or "Save this program to disk" dialog box comes up, choose "Save this program to disk".
- Save it to a familiar place so you know where to retrieve it from (i.e., c:\My Documents, desktop, etc.).
- After downloading, double click on the file.
- Open the unzipped folder to find the document. Save the file(s) located in the WinZip folder to the desired location.
- Close WinZip.
To download/install WinZip, go to the WinZip website.
Self-Extracting ZIP or Executable (.EXE)
ZIP files that are self-extracting do not require a separate program to un-zip or decompress the files. Files generally have an .EXE extenuation and are PC executable files.
- When you select the link to the file, you should be prompted by your browser
- Choose a directory in which to save the .EXE file, perhaps a temporary directory for this purpose.
- Use your file management program to start the .EXE file. It will automatically "un-zip" or decompress to its original file(s).
- An .EXE file may also be an executable - a normal program file ready to be used (executed).
ZIP Files (.ZIP)
One or more files contained in a single compressed file for efficient downloading. Programs to decompress the files are widely available across platforms either as standalone utilities or as file manager or browser helpers.
WinZIP is available from WinZip on their download page. This and other programs to decompress the files are widely available. Files generally have a .ZIP extension.
- When you select the link to the file, you should be prompted by your browser to save the file.
- Choose a directory in which to save the .ZIP file, perhaps a temporary directory for this purpose.
- Use the program of your choice to un-zip or decompress the .ZIP file to its original file(s).