ISU Hospital Inspector Certification Program (HICP)
General Information for Owners and Designers
All hospital construction work shall be continuously inspected by a certified hospital inspector approved by the architect or engineer in responsible charge and OSHPD.
The hospital governing board or authority shall provide for competent, adequate and continuous inspection by one or more Hospital Inspectors of Record (IORs) satisfactory to the architect or structural engineer or both, in responsible charge of the work, and OSHPD. OSHPD approval of proposed IORs shall be obtained for each specific project, or portion thereof, prior to commencement of construction in accordance with Title 24, Part 1, Section 7-135. The proposed inspector(s) must be appropriately certified by OSHPD in one of three classifications of inspection.
Certified Inspection Classifications
Class A Hospital Inspector may inspect all phases of construction, including architectural, mechanical, electrical, fire and life safety, and structural elements.
NOTE: this class includes major structural construction.
Class B Hospital Inspector may inspect only the following phases of construction: architectural, mechanical, electrical, fire and life safety, and anchorage of non-structural elements.
NOTE: major structural inspection not included in this classification
Class C Hospital Inspector may inspect one or more areas of construction specifically, but may not inspect the complete scope of construction authorized for Class "A" or Class "B" inspectors.
See Essential Guidelines
- Retain an inspector with knowledge and experience appropriate to the nature of the proposed construction.
- Architect(s) and/or Engineer(s) in charge of the project must carefully evaluate proposed inspector(s).
- An inspector may work on more than one small project at a time; therefore, it is also important to evaluate the inspector′s time commitment to the project. Large projects may require the employment of more than one inspector.
CA Admin Code (CAC), Elegibility, & Certification
- Excerpts from the California Administrative Code (CAC). These excerpts define the Health Facility′s responsibility to provide construction inspection by certified OSHPD inspectors
- Information on eligibility to apply for Hospital Inspector certification
- Current Certification Exam and Recertification Seminar schedules
- Hospital Inspector Certification Application
- "Applying for the Certification Exam"
We welcome your feedback, comments, and questions. Please direct them to the Inspection Services Unit, OSHPD.FDDISU@oshpd.ca.gov.
This page was last updated on Wednesday, March 28, 2018.
- FDD Home
- About FDD
- Announcements/Updated Reports
- eServices Information
- Preapproval Programs
- Seismic Compliance
- Hospital Inspector Certification Program (HICP)
- Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs)
- Regulation Codes and Policies
- Code Application Notices (CANs) and Policy Intent Notices (PINs)
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Forms, Applications, and Reminder Lists
- Project Status Reports
- Training & Education
- Additional Information
- FDD Site Map