Advanced Practice Healthcare Loan Repayment Program
Who may apply?
To be eligible for the Advanced Practice Healthcare Loan Repayment Program, the applicant must:
- be currently licensed and practicing in one of the following professions:
If you are in a dental profession, click the link below
- Certified Nurse Midwives
- Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Nurse Practitioners
- Occupational Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- Physician Assistants
- Speech Therapists
- be providing direct patient care 32+ hours or more a week
- be working in a qualified facility
- be in good standing with respective Board or Committee
- have outstanding educational debt from a commercial or U.S. governmental lending institution
- be free from any other service obligation, including other HPEF programs
- be willing to continue working in a medically underserved area for twelve (12) months
- complete and submit your application through CalREACH by the application deadline
Those awarded the Advanced Practice Healthcare Loan Repayment may receive *up to $25,000. If awarded, recipients agree to continue practicing full time, direct patient care at a qualified facility in California for a twelve (12) month service obligation. Qualified facilities include those designated by The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources Administration (HRSA) or California’s Shortage Designation Program, a liaison to the federal Shortage Designation Branch (SDB) of Health Resources and Services Administration as Medically Underserved Area (MUA), Medically Underserved Population (MUP), Health Professional Shortage Area- Primary Care (HPSA-PC), Health Professional Shortage Area- Dental (HPSA-D), and Primary Care Shortage Area (PCSA). In addition to the Federal and CA state designations, any state, county, veteran, or correctional facility qualifies as well as Indian Health Centers and Federally Qualified Health Centers. See chart of qualified designations associated to each profession.
The Advanced Practice Healthcare Loan Repayment Program is funded by donations and grants. Some professions may not be eligible for an award based on available funding. We encourage all individuals to apply.
This page was last updated on Thursday, August 10, 2017.
The Health Professions Education Foundation (HPEF) is a state non-profit established in 1987.
HPEF has awarded more than 14,721 scholarships and loan repayments totaling more than $169.7 million to California health professionals serving in all 58 counties in areas of unmet need.