Steven M. Thompson Physician Corps Loan Repayment Program
Who may apply?
To be considered for an award, you must:
- Be an allopathic or osteopathic physician or surgeon
- Be free of any contractual service obligations (i.e the National Health Service Corps Federal Loan Repayment Program or other financial incentive programs)
- Have outstanding educational debt from a government or commercial lending institution
- Have a valid, unrestricted MD or DO license to practice medicine in California
- Be currently employed or have accepted employment as a primary care doctor or as a specialist at a qualifying practice site in a Health Professional Shortage Area-Primary Care (HPSA-PC) or Primary Care Shortage Area (PCSA) in California
- Commit to providing full-time medical services in a HPSA-PC or PCSA for a minimum of three (3) years
The Steven M. Thompson Physician Corps Loan Repayment Program encourages recently licensed physicians and surgeons to practice in Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) and Primary Care Shortage Areas (PCSA) in California. The program repays up to $105,000 in educational loans in exchange for full-time service for a minimum of three (3) years.
This page was last updated on Thursday, August 24, 2017.
The Health Professions Education Foundation (HPEF) is a state non-profit established in 1987.
HPEF has awarded more than 12,882 scholarships and loan repayments totaling more than $146.7 million to California health professionals serving in all 58 counties in areas of unmet need.