Hospital Building Safety Board (HBSB)
- About HBSB
- HBSB 2020 Full Board Meetings
- HBSB 2020 Committees
- Upcoming Seminars
- Activities & Resources
- Guidelines & Related Information
- HBSB Staff
The Hospital Building Safety Board (HBSB or Board) was established by Senate Bill 519 (Alquist) in the original Hospital Facilities Seismic Safety Act of 1973.
The purpose of the Board is to:
- Advise the Director of the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) on the administration of the Hospital Facilities Seismic Safety Act, and
- Act as a board of appeals with regard to seismic safety and fire and life safety issues relating to hospital facilities.
The Board is comprised of:
- Sixteen board members appointed by the Director of OSHPD from nominations submitted by professional associations, as specified in the Health and Safety Code, and three more are appointed as public members. These appointed Board members serve 4-year terms with a maximum of two terms.
- Six statutory ex-officio members, representing state agencies whose programs interface with the hospital design and construction program.
- Three additional ex-officio members appointed by the Director of OSHPD as desired.
Board members maintain close contact with professional groups and important industry organizations to bring attention to changes and emerging issues occurring in the design and construction of health facilities in California.
The full Board meets on an as needed basis. Additionally, committee meetings are held throughout the year. All meetings are open to the public and interested parties are always welcome to attend.
Go to the OSHPD subscription page and select Hospital Building Safety Board or its Committees to receive news and information.
HBSB 2020 Full Board Meetings#
April 23 – OSHPD Los Angeles
August 13 – OSHPD Sacramento
December 9 and 10 – OSHPD Los Angeles
HBSB 2020 Committees#
ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSES, CODE CHANGES, AND STANDARD DETAILS COMMITTEE#
● Pete Kreuser, Chair ● Michael O’Connor, Vice-Chair ● Louise Belair ● Mike Hooper ● Scott Jackson ● Michele Lampshire
● Roy Lopez ● Bruce Macpherson ● Maryann Phipps
John Donelan, OSHPD/FDD ● Mark Hershberg, KPFF Consulting Engineers
● Brett Beekman ● Mickey Fong ● Bill Gow ● Roy Lobo ● Dave Mason ● Diana Navarro ● Carl Scheuerman ●
Richard Tannahill ● Nanci Timmins
February 4- RESCHEDULED
● Develop code language with CDPH ● Research initiative for 2022 code cycle updates ● Update CANs and PINs to code
● Mental health jurisdiction flowchart ● Standard details for SNFs wood and light gauge metal framing ● Temporary utilities
BOARD PROCEDURES COMMITTEE#
● Michael Foulkes, Chair ● Louise Belair, Vice-Chair ● Bruce Macpherson ● Bruce Rainey
Joe LaBrie ● Carl Scheuerman
Organize leadership training program
EDUCATION AND OUTREACH COMMITTEE#
● Mike Hooper, Chair ● Pete Kreuser, Vice-Chair ● Louise Belair ● Deepak Dandekar ● Rami Elhassan ● Bert Hurlbut
● Bruce Macpherson ● Bruce Rainey
● John Donelan, OSHPD/FDD ● Bill Zellmer, Sutter Health
● Hussain Bhatia ● Chris Dickey ● Mickey Fong ● Joe LaBrie ● Richard Tannahill ● Nanci Timmins
● Webinars: Offsite Fabrication; Code Change to 2019 CBSC published 7/1/2019 effective 1/1/2020; New Energy Regulations/Enforcement training (field staff and IOR); Removing Acute Care Services; PINs and CANs related to Fire Life Safety, Pre-approvals, and Accessibility Standards; and OSHPD New Electronic Plan Review Software ● Work with ISU on IOR training and development
ENERGY CONSERVATION AND MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE#
● Louise Belair, Chair ● Roy Lopez, Vice Chair ● David Bliss ● Deepak Dandekar ● Mike Hooper ● Scott Jackson
● David Khorram ● Michele Lampshire ● Bruce Rainey
● John Griffiths, CONTECH-CA ● Eric Johnson, ECOM Engineering, Inc. ● David Lockhart, Kaiser Permanente
● Chris Dickey ● Dave Mason ● Carl Scheuerman ● Richard Tannahill
● Work with CEC to develop mutually agreeable standards for hospital building energy efficiency ● Develop recommendations for next code cycle modification for OSHPD to address microgrids, distributed energy
resources, and interconnection to normal power versus emergency power
● Rami Elhassan, Chair ● Maryann Phipps, Vice-Chair ● Bruce Clark ● Marshall Lew ● Jennifer Thornburg
● Hammid Haddadi ● Moh Huang ● Tony Shakal
● Hussain Bhatia ● Roy Lobo ● Ali Sumer
● Continue working with OSHPD staff on scheduled instrumentation installations ● Develop white paper for monitoring earthquake recovery
STRUCTURAL AND NON-STRUCTURAL REGULATIONS COMMITTEE#
● Maryann Phipps, Chair ● Rami Elhassan, Vice-Chair ● Bruce Clark ● Mike Hooper ● Marshall Lew ● Michael O’Connor
● Jennifer Thornburg
● Michelle Malone, Chinese Hospital
● Joe LaBrie ● Roy Lobo ● David Neou ● Carl Scheuerman ● Ali Sumer
January 23- CANCELED
● Support OSHPD with review of code changes ● Support OSHPD with review of new/revised PINs, CANs and OPDs
● Implementation of SPC-4D and NPC-4D ● Issues regarding repurposing hospital buildings ● Develop a PIN for nonstructural bracing of fixed, mobile and movable equipment, and pre-approved details ● Revisit NPC-5 requirements ● OSP for computer racks/servers and routers, etc.
● Michael O’Connor, Chair ● David Bliss, Vice Chair ● Deepak Dandekar ● Michael Foulkes ● Bert Hurlbut ● Roy Lopez
● Bruce Macpherson ● Bruce Rainey
Benjamin Broder, Kaiser Permanente ● Eric Johnson, ECOM Engineering, Inc.
● Hussain Bhatia ● Joe LaBrie ● Carl Scheuerman ● Richard Tannahill ● Nanci Timmins
March 3- RESCHEDULED
● Explore subjects of telemedicine and robotics ● Presentation on upcoming Power over Ethernet (PoE) implementation
● Discuss continuing evolution of interventional imaging; have vendors present current equipment capabilities and look at impacts to future shielding requirements ● Monitor CDPH electronic health records redundancy issues in the event of power failure and watch for potential effects to code
Upcoming Seminars #
Check back soon!
Activities & Resources#
To see committee activities as well as previous committee meeting information, go to the HBSB Meeting Archives page.
Guidelines & Related Information#
- 2018 Annual Report to California Seismic Safety Commission- For an accessible copy of the Annual Report email HBSB Support Staff
- Appeal Procedures
- Education Opportunities
- Guide for Working on Projects under OSHPD Jurisdiction – Tips from Experts
- Healthcare Facility Construction Information
2020 West El Camino Avenue, Suite 800
Sacramento, California 95833
Fax (916) 324-9118