Hospital Building Safety Board (HBSB)
- About HBSB
- Full Board Meeting Dates
- HBSB 2019 Committees
- Upcoming Seminars
- Activities & Resources
- Guidelines & Related Information
- HBSB Staff
The Hospital Building Safety Board (HBSB or Board) was established by Senate Bill 519 (Alquist) in the original Hospital Facilities Seismic Safety Act of 1973.
The purpose of the Board is to:
- Advise the Director of the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) on the administration of the Hospital Facilities Seismic Safety Act, and
- Act as a board of appeals with regard to seismic safety and fire and life safety issues relating to hospital facilities.
The Board is comprised of:
- Sixteen board members appointed by the Director of OSHPD from nominations submitted by professional associations, as specified in the Health and Safety Code, and three more are appointed as public members. These appointed Board members serve 4-year terms with a maximum of two terms.
- Six statutory ex-officio members, representing state agencies whose programs interface with the hospital design and construction program.
- Three additional ex-officio members appointed by the Director of OSHPD as desired.
Board members maintain close contact with professional groups and important industry organizations to bring attention to changes and emerging issues occurring in the design and construction of health facilities in California.
The full Board meets on an as needed basis. Additionally, committee meetings are held throughout the year. All meetings are open to the public and interested parties are always welcome to attend.
Go to the OSHPD subscription page and choose Hospital Building Safety Board News to receive HBSB news and information.
Full Board Meeting Dates#
February 20 (Special Session and Leadership Training)- OSHPD Los Angeles – meeting completed
June 13- OSHPD Los Angeles Rescheduled
June 20 – OSHPD Los Angeles
December 11 and 12- OSHPD Sacramento
HBSB 2019 Committees#
ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSES, CODE CHANGES, AND STANDARD DETAILS COMMITTEE#
● Pete Kreuser, Chair ● Michael O’Connor, Vice-Chair ● Louise Belair ● Enid Eck ● Mike Hooper ● Scott Jackson ● Roy Lopez ● Bruce Macpherson ● Maryann Phipps ●
Mark Hershberg, KPFF Consulting Engineers
● Brett Beekman ● Chris Dickey ● John Donelan ● Gary Dunger ● Mickey Fong ● Roy Lobo ● Dave Mason ● Diana Navarro ● Diana Scaturro ● Carl Scheuerman ● Nanci Timmins
March 28 – meeting completed
● 2019 Mid-cycle code changes ● Develop Remodel CAN/codes ● Process improvements based on eSP collected data
● Determine when continuous inspection is required for prefabricated/off-site fabricated items
BOARD PROCEDURES COMMITTEE#
● Michael Foulkes, Chair ● Louise Belair, Vice-Chair ● Joe LaBrie ● Bruce Macpherson
January 23 – meeting completed
● Review and clarify the duties and responsibilities of Director-Appointed Ex-Officio Members ● Review current appeal procedures and how the differ from 2019 CBSC ● Develop leadership training for committee chairs and vice-chairs
EDUCATION AND OUTREACH COMMITTEE#
● Mike Hooper, Chair ● Pete Kreuser, Vice-Chair ● Louise Belair ● Deepak Dandekar ● Rami Elhassan ● Joe LaBrie ● Bruce Macpherson ● Bruce Rainey
● John Donelan, OSHPD / FDD ● Bert Hurlbut, New Stanford Hospital ● Bill Zellmer, Sutter Health
● Hussain Bhatia ● Gary Dunger ● Diana Scaturro ● Nanci Timmins ● Chris Dickey ● Mickey Fong ● Richard Tannahill
March 13 – meeting completed
May 15 – meeting completed
June 5 – meeting completed
● Develop the 2019 CBSC Webinar and Remodel Seminar ● Explore developing of IOR training program
ENERGY CONSERVATION AND MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE#
● David Bliss, Chair Louise ● Belair, Vice Chair ● Deepak Dandekar ● Enid Eck ● Mike Hooper ● Scott Jackson ● Pete Kreuser ● Roy Lopez ● Bruce Rainey
● John Griffiths, CONTECH-CA ● Eric Johnson, ECOM Engineering, Inc. ● David Lockhart, Kaiser Permanente
● Chris Dickey ● Dave Mason ● Diana Scaturro ● Carl Scheuerman
April 4 – meeting completed
July 11 – (rescheduled from 8/1)
● Work with CEC to develop mutually agreeable standards for hospital building energy efficiency ● Develop recommendations for next code cycle modification for OSHPD to address microgrids, distributed energy
resources, and interconnection to normal power versus emergency power
● Maryann Phipps, Chair ● Rami Elhassan, Vice-Chair ● Marshall Lew ● Tim McCrink/Jennifer Thornburg
● Moh Huang ● Tony Shakal
● Roy Lobo
April 23 – meeting completed
● Identify new hospital buildings to be instrumented ● Explore reporting programs for instrumented buildings ● Explore development of early warning programs/systems
STRUCTURAL AND NON-STRUCTURAL REGULATIONS COMMITTEE#
● Rami Elhassan, Chair ● Maryann Phipps, Vice-Chair ● Mike Hooper ● Joe LaBrie ● Marshall Lew ● Tim McCrink/Jennifer Thornburg ● Michael O’Connor
● Michelle Malone, Salinas Valley Memorial Health
● Roy Lobo ● David Neou ● Carl Scheuerman ● Diana Scaturro ● Ali Sumer
April 30 – meeting completed
● Determine whether equipment should be listed on plans ● Evaluate local seismic retrofit ordinances ● Develop PIN or OPD for moveable and mobile equipment
● Michael O’Connor, Chair ● David Bliss, Vice Chair ● Deepak Dandekar ● Michael Foulkes ● Lou Gilpin ● Joe LaBrie ● Roy Lopez ● Bruce Macpherson ● Bruce Rainey
- Consulting Members:
Benjamin Broder, Kaiser Permanente ● Eric Johnson, ECOM Engineering, Inc. ● Michelle Malone, Salinas Valley Memorial Health
● Hussain Bhatia ● Gary Dunger ● Diana Scaturro ● Nanci Timmins ● Carl Scheuerman
May 2 – meeting completed
● Determine if CMS and CDPH standards for medical record storage are adequate ● Explore and propose code changes regarding building management systems
Upcoming Seminars #
No seminars scheduled at this time.
Activities & Resources#
To see committee activities as well as previous committee meeting information, go to the HBSB Meeting Archives page.
2020 West El Camino Avenue, Suite 800
Sacramento, California 95833
Fax (916) 324-9118