- Recertification Seminar and Examination
All inspectors are responsible for monitoring their certification expiration date. Reminder notices may be sent to addresses on file for certified inspectors however, failure to receive a notice shall not be grounds for an extension of certification past the expiration date.
Hospital Inspector Recertification Seminars are offered twice a year in Sacramento and Los Angeles. These one-day seminars:
- Cover code updates.
- Cover inspection procedures.
- Cover inspection requirements and techniques used in Health Facilities and Acute Care Hospitals.
- Are designed to fulfill the education requirement for recertification.
All Hospital Inspector Certifications issued by OSHPD expire three years from the most recent certification or recertification examination date. To recertify inspectors shall participate in a Hospital Inspector Recertification Seminar and pass a Recertification Examination (given at the conclusion of the seminar) within the final twelve months of the three-year certification period in order to maintain a valid certification in the same Hospital Inspector Certification class. If an inspector upgrades to another certification class, the recertification will be issued for the higher level only. Class C inspectors are also required to submit evidence of continuing certification in the specialties for which they are certified.
OSHPD shall rescind approval of a Hospital Inspector of Record on a project if the inspector does not maintain valid certification throughout the term of the project per California Administrative Code (CAC) 7-212(f).
Recertification Seminar and Examination#
Hospital Inspectors with Class A, B, or “C – Architectural” and/or “C – Anchorage and Bracing of Non-Structural Components” specialties seeking recertification must attend a six-hour seminar and pass a two-hour recertification examination consisting of multiple-choice questions (open book) based on information presented at the recertification seminar. The examination tests the candidate’s knowledge of new or revised requirements of the California Administrative Code and the California Building Standards Code. The examination may also include questions regarding changes in OSHPD policies, critical changes in new construction materials or inspection procedures covered at the seminar. A candidate must obtain a minimum passing score of 75% on the written examination.
Class C hospital inspectors (other than those with “Architecture” and/or “Anchorage and Bracing of Non-Structural Components” specialties) may elect to attend only the California Administrative Code portion of the seminar (four hours) or may attend the entire seminar. These inspectors must pass only the California Administrative Code portion of the examination (30-minute test) and may not take the portion of the examination covering the technical code updates.
Registration and Upcoming Dates#
Additional information will be available on June 3, 2019.
Re-certification Seminar Handouts#
Seminar handouts will be available on January 31, 2020.
Recertification Details and Rules#
Recertification Seminar Eligibility
Everyone is eligible to attend the Hospital Inspector Recertification Seminar.
Recertification Examination Eligibility
To be eligible for the Recertification Examination, a Hospital Inspector shall meet the following minimum criteria:
- Possess a valid Hospital Inspector Certification or an expired certification that meets the provisions described in the “Renewal of Expired Hospital Inspector Certification” section below.
- Complete a seminar conducted, sponsored, or co-sponsored by OSHPD within the final twelve months of the three-year certification period.
- Submit a recertification seminar/examination fee as indicated in the Recertification Fees section below.
How to Apply#
A Hospital Inspector may apply for the recertification by submitting:
- A completed Hospital Recertification Seminar & Examination registration form to the Los Angeles office. This form can also be obtained from OSHPD’s office. The completed form must include the inspector’s contact information and certification number. Any change of address, email address, or telephone numbers shall be indicated on the form. This contact information, including email address and phone number, will be posted to OSHPD’s list of certified inspectors.
- Seminar & Examination fees as indicated in the Recertification Fees section below.
The Seminar Fee and Recertification Examination Fee should accompany the Recertification Seminar Registration Form. All fees must be received at least 10 days prior to participating in the seminar/examination.
- Seminar Fee – Refer to Registration Form
- Recertification Examination Fee – $100.00
- Delinquency Fee – $100
Fees shall be made payable to “OSHPD.” Acceptable methods of payment are:
- Money Order
- Novus/Discover Card
Payments must be submitted and/or mailed to:
Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development
Facilities Development Division
Hospital Inspector Recertification Program
355 South Grand Avenue, Suite 1900
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Day of the Recertification Examination#
The candidate should allow time to arrive to the seminar/examination location and check-in. Directions to the locations may be requested from OSHPD, if needed.
Seminar times are as follows:
Lunch period: 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
The Seminar will start promptly at 8:00 a.m.
Candidates must have received written approval and paid all fees to participate in the seminar/examination. Candidates must bring a valid form of photo identification with signature (example: a driver’s license).
Conduct Relative to the Examination#
An applicant/candidate who participates in any of the following acts before, during, or after the administration of the recertification examination, shall be disqualified by OSHPD and may lose Hospital Inspector certification. The applicant or candidate shall not engage in activities that would compromise the integrity of the examination including by not limited to:
- Copy any portion of the examination.
- Participate in collusion regarding the examination.
- Disclose contents of the examination questions to anyone other than a person authorized by OSHPD.
- Solicit, accept or compile information regarding the contents of the examination.
This includes annotating or highlighting code books as a means to compile information regarding the contents of the examination.
- Falsify documents required for the examination entrance.
- Engage in harassment of proctors or other candidates.
- Write on the examination booklet or plans.
- Use literature other than those provided in the recertification seminar. No notes, loose paper or binders are allowed.
- Share materials with another candidate.
- Bring any electronic devices into the examination room including but not limited to cellular phones.
Upon successfully passing the recertification examination, an updated OSHPD Hospital Inspector Certificate will be issued.
Renewal of Expired Hospital Inspector Certification
Up to six months after expiration, Hospital Inspectors may reinstate their certification by:
- Applying for, and attending, the recertification seminar,
- Passing the recertification examination, and
- Paying a $100.00 delinquency fee (in addition to the $100.00 recertification seminar/examination fee).
Hospital Inspectors are not permitted to continue to serve as Inspectors of Record (IORs) during the six-month delinquency period.
Certification cannot be reinstated more than six months after expiration. To obtain a new certification, an individual would have to apply for and pass the certification examination.