Seismic Compliance and Safety
Senate Bill 1953 (SB 1953) was introduced on February 25, 1994. It was signed into law on September 21, 1994 and filed by the Secretary of State on September 22, 1994. The bill was an amendment to and furtherance of the Alfred E. Alquist Hospital Seismic Safety Act of 1983 (Alquist Act). SB 1953 (Chapter 740, 1994), is now chaptered into statute in Sections 130000 through 130070 of the Alfred E. Alquist Hospital Facilities Seismic Safety Act, and part of the California Health and Safety Code. The regulations developed as a result of this statute are deemed to be emergency regulations and became effective upon approval by the California Building Standards Commission and filing with the Secretary of State on March 18, 1998. See an overview of the SB1953 Program.
The Facilities Development Division formed the Seismic Compliance Unit (SCU) after the passage of Senate Bill 1953 (SB 1953). This Unit is comprised of structural engineers and senior architects responsible for review and approval of the following submittals to OSHPD:
Senate Bill 90 (SB 90)
Amends Section 130060 of the Health and Safety CodeSB 90 Details
Senate Bill 306 (SB 306)
Amends Section 130061.5 of the Health and Safety CodeSB 306 Details
Senate Bill 499 (SB 499)
Amends Sections 130060 & 130061 and added Section 130022 to the Health and Safety CodeSB 499 Annual reports
Senate Bill 1661 (SB 1661)
Amends Section 130060 & 130061 of the Health and Safety CodeSB 1661 Details
Other Legislative Changes
Seismic compliance for hospital buildingsVarious laws
For a sample NPC-2 reconciliation report, please refer to the following:
- NPC 2 Reconciliation Report
- Sample NPC-2 Exemption Letter
- Detailed Matrix to accompany NPC-2 Exemption Letter
- 2016 Title 24, Part 1, Chapter 6
- 2013 Title 24, Part 1, Chapter 6
- 2010 Title 24, Part 1, Chapter 6
- June 22, 2012 Emergency Supplement – 2010 Title 24, Part 1, Chapters 6 & 7
Code Application Notice (CANs)
- CAN 1-6-220.127.116.11.4 – Removal of Acute Care Services
- CAN 1-11.1 -Non-Structural Performance Categories
Policy Intent Notice (PINs)
- PIN 13 – Lighting System Retrofit
- PIN 32 – NPC-2 Seismic Bracing Upgrades (SB 1953)
- PIN 45 – converting a Senate Bill 1661 Project to a Senate Bill 499 Project
- PIN 52 – Requests for Seismic Compliance Extension Under SB 90
- PIN 53 – Requests for Seismic Compliance Extension Under SB 499 and SB 1661
Ground Motion Maps
For questions or comments related to the Seismic Compliance Program, please eMail the Seismic Compliance Unit.
For Special Seismic Certification of equipment, See Preapproval Programs.
The Seismic Compliance Unit does not process Special Seismic Certification Preapprovals.
*For submittal of projects that involves construction, use the eServices Portal.