Each hospital is required to submit a copy of its Chargemaster, a list of average charges for 25 common outpatient procedures, and the estimated percentage change in gross revenue due to price changes each July 1.
Attention Data Users
Please exercise caution when interpreting OSHPD data. The use of improper assumptions and analytical methods may result in erroneous or misleading conclusions. Conclusions drawn from OSHPD data are the sole responsibility of the user.
The submitted pricing information reflects hospital charges in effect on June 1. As a result, a patient’s bill for hospital services provided at a different date may contain different charges. Because each hospital is allowed to determine which 25 outpatient procedures to report to OSHPD, comparisons between hospitals’ lists of charges for outpatient procedures may not always be possible.
OSHPD does not have the authority to intervene between patients and hospitals involving billing issues. If you are experiencing problems or have questions regarding your hospital bill that the hospital is not able to fully address, then it is recommended that you contact a not-for-profit patient advocacy group, such as Health Access California for assistance.
Submit Hospital Chargemasters
- AB 1045 repealed the requirement that each hospital annually submit a list of 25 services or procedures commonly charged to patients. Instead, each hospital is required to annually submit a list of charges for 25 common outpatient procedures beginning July 1, 2006.
- Two reporting requirements established by AB 1627 remain intact. Each hospital is still required to annually submit a copy of its chargemaster and an estimate of the percentage change in the hospital’s gross revenue due to any price change during the 12-month period beginning with the effective date of the previous chargemaster filed. The initial reporting of the estimate calculation and supporting documentation will commence July 1, 2006, using the prices in effect on June 1, 2005 as the beginning date.
- To obtain modifications to the requirements specified for electronic file formats, effective date of the documents, submission date of the documents, or methods of submitting electronic files, hospitals must file written requests for modification with OSHPD. Hospitals must have an OSHPD-approved modification prior to implementation of any change to the applicable requirements. Modification requests shall specify the precise changes being requested and the reason(s) the changes are needed. OSHPD will either approve or disapprove requests for modification on a case-by-case basis.
How to Submit
OSHPD has developed an optional reporting form for hospitals to report the list of average charges for 25 common outpatient procedures including instructions for completing the form. Hospitals are encouraged to use the optional form to report the required list of average charges for 25 common outpatient procedures.
Each hospital must submit the above documents together as attachments to one email, or submit on one Compact Disc (CD) by mail.
- Email Chargemasters to Chargemaster@oshpd.ca.gov
- Mail Chargemaster CDs to:
Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development
Accounting and Reporting Systems Section
2020 West El Camino Avenue, Suite 1100
Sacramento, CA 95833