California State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
The California State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) increases the number of primary care physicians, dentists, dental hygienists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives, pharmacists, and mental/behavioral health providers practicing in federally designated California Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSA).
Provider Eligibility Requirements#
- Be a U.S. citizen (U.S born or naturalized)
- Possess a valid and unrestricted license to practice your profession in California
- Be free from judgments arising from federal debt
- Not have any other existing service obligations with other entities
- Not be in breach of any other health professional service obligation
- Be current on any child support payments
- Be employed at or have accepted employment at a SLRP approved Practice Site (See Practice Site Eligibility section for more details)
- Commit to providing a 2-year full-time (40 hrs./week) or a 4-year half-time (20 hrs./week) service obligation (See service commitment and awards section for more details)
SLRP participants must possess an active and valid license (without restrictions or encumbrances) to practice in one of the following eligible disciplines:
- Medicine (MD/DO)
- Dentist (DMD/DDS)
- Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Primary Care Physician Assistant (PA)
- Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM)
- Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH)
- Health Service Psychologist (HSP), formerly Clinical or Counseling Psychologist
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
- Psychiatric Nurse Specialist (PNS)
- Pharmacists (PharmD) (Please review Additional Pharmacist Guidelines)
Approved Primary Care Specialties for Physicians#
- Family Medicine
- General Internal Medicine
- General Pediatrics
- General Psychiatry
Approved Primary Care Specialties for Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants#
- Psychiatry/mental health
- Women’s health
Practice Site Eligibility Requirements#
Providers must work at an approved SLRP practice site (see the SLRP Practice Sites List). To host SLRP providers, a practice site must:
- Be located in a federally designated Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA)
- Match the award on a dollar-for-dollar basis with non-federal contributions
- Pay the provider a prevailing wage.
- Be a public or private not for-profit out-patient facility
- Provide services on a free or reduced fee schedule basis to individuals at or below 200% of the federal poverty level
- Complete a practice site profile.
If your site is not on the SLRP Practice Site List, and you believe your site should be eligible, please have your organization email SLRP Support.
*Pursuant to Chapter 454 of 2016 (AB 2048), effective January 1, 2017, the SLRP Practice Sites List includes all Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC). FQHCs (see OSHPD’s FQHC list) must also submit a practice site profile to confirm ability to provide the award match.
Qualifying Educational Loans#
- Qualified Lender: Qualifying commercial lending institutions are those subject to examination and supervision by an agency of the United States, or by the state in which the institutions have their place of business.
- Loans (government and commercial) obtained from a qualifying lender for undergraduate and graduate health profession degrees.
Non-Qualifying Educational Loans#
The following types of debt are not eligible for loan repayment under SLRP:
- Interest incurred on educational debt
- Loans in default
- Loans repaid in full
- Credit card debt
- Primary Care Loans
- Personal lines of credit
Service years and award amounts for full-time/half-time initial and extension grants may vary from year to year; the amounts are subject to change based upon federal requirements.
Full-Time Maximum Award (2-year initial obligation)#
- Initial Obligation: $50,000.00
- Extension Year 1: $20,000.00
- Extension Year 2: $20,000.00
- Extension Year 3: $10,000.00
- Extension Year 4: $10,000.00
Half-Time Maximum Award (4-year initial obligation)#
- Initial Obligation: $50,000.00
- Extension Year 1: $10,000.00
- Extension Year 2: $10,000.00
- Extension Year 3: $5,000.00
- Extension Year 4: $5,000.00
Each site is required to match the awarded grant, on a dollar for dollar basis, up to $25,000 per provider. The award amount may vary due to the amount of provider’s debt. The provider will need to consult with the practice site to determine if the site will provide the matching award.