California State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
The California State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) increases the number of primary care physicians, dentists, dental hygienists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives, pharmacists, and mental/behavioral health providers practicing in federally designated California Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSA).
- Application Cycles
- Eligibility Requirements
- Award Amounts
- Contact Us
- Opens: August 1, 2019 at 3:00 p.m.
- Closes: October 1, 2019 at 3:00 p.m.
All applications must be submitted before the application close date. Incomplete applications will not be considered for an award
- Be a U.S. citizen (U.S born or naturalized)
- Possess a valid and unrestricted license to practice your profession in California
- Be free from judgments arising from federal debt
- Not have any other existing service obligations with other entities
- Not be in breach of any other health professional service obligation
- Be current on any child support payments
- Be employed at or have accepted employment at a SLRP approved Practice Site (See Practice Site Eligibility section for more details)
- Commit to providing a 2-year full-time (40 hrs./week) or a 4-year half-time (20 hrs./week) service obligation (See service commitment and awards section for more details)
SLRP participants must possess an active and valid license (without restrictions or encumbrances) to practice in one of the following eligible disciplines:
- Medicine (MD/DO)
- Dentist (DMD/DDS)
- Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Primary Care Physician Assistant (PA)
- Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM)
- Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH)
- Health Service Psychologist (HSP), formerly Clinical or Counseling Psychologist
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
- Psychiatric Nurse Specialist (PNS)
Approved Primary Care Specialties for Physicians#
- Family Medicine
- General Internal Medicine
- General Pediatrics
- General Psychiatry
Approved Primary Care Specialties for Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants#
- Psychiatry/mental health
- Women’s health
Practice Site Eligibility #
Providers must work at an approved SLRP practice site (see the SLRP Practice Sites List). To host SLRP providers, a practice site must:
- Be located in a federally designated Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA)
- Match the award on a dollar-for-dollar basis with non-federal contributions
- Pay the provider a prevailing wage.
- Be a public or private not for-profit out-patient facility
- Provide services on a free or reduced fee schedule basis to individuals at or below 200% of the federal poverty level
- Complete a practice site profile.
Pursuant to Chapter 454 of 2016 (AB 2048), effective January 1, 2017, the SLRP Practice Sites List includes all Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs).
- FQHCs (see OSHPD’s FQHC list) must also submit a practice site profile to confirm ability to provide the award match.
Service years and award amounts for full-time/half-time initial and extension grants may vary from year to year; the amounts are subject to change based upon federal requirements.
Full-Time Maximum Award (2-year initial obligation)#
- Initial Obligation: $50,000.00
- Extension Year 1: $20,000.00
- Extension Year 2: $20,000.00
- Extension Year 3: $10,000.00
- Extension Year 4: $10,000.00
Half-Time Maximum Award (4-year initial obligation)#
- Initial Obligation: $50,000.00
- Extension Year 1: $10,000.00
- Extension Year 2: $10,000.00
- Extension Year 3: $5,000.00
- Extension Year 4: $5,000.00
Each site is required to match the awarded grant, on a dollar for dollar basis, up to $25,000 per provider. The award amount may vary due to the amount of provider’s debt. The provider will need to consult with the practice site to determine if the site will provide the matching award.