Steven M. Thompson Physician Corps Loan Repayment Program (STLRP)
The Steven M. Thompson Physician Corps Loan Repayment Program encourages recently licensed physicians and surgeons to practice in Health Professional Shortage Areas – Primary Care (HPSA-PC) and Primary Care Shortage Areas (PCSA) in California.
The program repays up to $105,000 in educational loans in exchange for full-time service for a minimum of three (3) years and can be awarded up to two (2) times.
“The Steven M. Thompson Physician Corps Loan Repayment Program provides a much-needed relief for the mountain of educational debt and allows physicians to focus on providing care, instead of worrying about how to pay their loans.”Jasmeet Kaur Bains, MD, 2017 STLRP Awardee
To be considered for an award, you must:
- Be an allopathic or osteopathic physician or surgeon
- Be free of any contractual service obligations (i.e the National Health Service Corps Federal Loan Repayment Program or other financial incentive programs)
- Have outstanding educational debt from a government or commercial lending institution
- Have a valid, unrestricted MD or DO license to practice medicine in California
- Be currently employed or have accepted employment as a primary care doctor or as a specialist at a qualifying practice site in a Health Professional Shortage Area-Primary Care (HPSA-PC) or Primary Care Shortage Area (PCSA) in California
- Be practicing outpatient care. At least 90% of direct patient care hours must be spent working in an outpatient setting, not a hospital. Exception: Emergency Room Physicians providing care to patients not admitted to the hospital
- Commit to providing full-time medical services in a HPSA-PC or PCSA for a minimum of three (3) years. Full-time is defined as a minimum of 40 hours worked per week with at least 32 of those hours spent providing direct patient care on an outpatient basis. Exception: For physicians engaged in the practice of obstetrics, full-time is defined as a minimum of 40 hours worked per week with at least 21 of those hours spent providing direct patient care on an outpatient basis
Confirming Location Eligibility#
You must confirm eligibility of your worksite by using the location search function and under either Section A or B of the Certification of Practice Setting (COPS) form. To complete the location search, choose Steven M. Thompson Loan Repayment Program from the dropdown list and enter an address into the search bar to determine whether the worksite falls in a qualifying shortage area.
If you currently work at a Tribal Health Clinic or Federally Qualified Healthcare Center (FQHC), you may bypass the location eligibility search as your worksite automatically qualifies with a Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) designation. Please proceed to confirming your worksite eligiblity under either Section A or B of the COPS form.
If you work in a Rural Healthcare Center, please contact HPEF staff at 916-326-3640 to confirm your worksite’s HPSA designation status. Once your worksite’s designation is confirmed, please proceed to confirming eligibility under with Section A or B of the COPS form.
A PROGRAM OF THE HEALTH PROFESSIONS EDUCATION FOUNDATION