Allied Healthcare Scholarship Program (AHSP)
A PROGRAM OF THE HEALTH PROFESSIONS EDUCATION FOUNDATION
About the Allied Healthcare Scholarship Program#
PLEASE NOTE: The Allied healthcare scholarship Program (AhsP) will not have an application cycle for 2018-2019. Current AHsP recipients may use this page as a resource.
Those awarded the Allied Healthcare Scholarship may receive *up to $8,000 for one year of school. If awarded, recipients agree to a twelve (12) month service obligation practicing full time, direct patient care at a qualified facility in California. Applicants can be awarded up to three (3) times.
Qualified facilities include those designated by The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources Administration (HRSA) or California’s Shortage Designation Program, a liaison to the federal Shortage Designation Branch (SDB) of Health Resources and Services Administration as Medically Underserved Area (MUA), Medically Underserved Population (MUP), Health Professional Shortage Area- Primary Care (HPSA-PC), or a Primary Care Shortage Area (PCSA). In addition to the Federal and CA state designations, any State, County, Veteran, or Correctional Facility qualifies as well as Indian Health Centers and Federally Qualified Health Centers. See chart of qualified designations associated to each profession.
*The Allied Healthcare Scholarship program is funded by donations and grants. Some professions may not be eligible for an award based on available funding. We encourage all individuals to apply.
Who May Apply?#
To be eligible for the Allied Healthcare Scholarship, the applicant must be currently accepted or enrolled in one of the following programs:
- Clinical Laboratory Scientists
- Community Health Workers/Promotoras
- Dental Hygienists • see dental location eligibility
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Medical Assistants
- Medical Imaging Technologists
- Medical Laboratory Technologists
- Nuclear Medicine Technologists
- Occupational Therapist Assistants
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Physical Therapy Assistants
- Radiation Therapy Technologists
- Radiologic Technicians
- Respiratory Therapists
- Social Work
- Surgical Technicians
- Ultrasound Technicians
- Other, Allied Healthcare
In addition, the applicant must:#
- Be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) units, or its equivalent until program completion
- Have a GPA of 2.0 or greater
- Graduate after June 30, 2019
- Be free from any other service obligation, except HPEF scholarship programs
- Be willing to work in a Medically Underserved Area for twelve (12) months
- Complete and submit your application by 5:00 PM on the deadline
Dental Professions Map#
Enter an address in the map search bar to determine whether a worksite falls in a Medically Underserved Area (MUA), Medically Underserved Population (MUP), Primary Care Shortage Area (PCSA) or Health Professional Shortage Area- Primary Care (HPSA-PC). If the worksite falls in a shaded area, it qualifies for the Advanced Practice Healthcare Scholarship, Loan Repayment, and allied programs. Other types of qualifying facilities not shown on this map include: county facilities, veterans facilities, correctional facilities, federally qualified health centers and indian health centers. If your worksite does not fall in a shaded area, but may qualify through another designation, please contact a member of our program staff.