Application Cycle: CLOSED
The next VNSP application cycle opens on January 3, 2022, at 3:00 p.m., and closes on February 22, 2022, at 3:00 p.m.
The Vocational Nurse Scholarship Program (VNSP) increases the number of appropriately trained nurses providing direct patient care in a qualified facility in California.
Review the VNSP Grant Guide for program guidance and requirements.
Provider Eligibility Requirements
- Be enrolled in a minimum of six units, or its equivalent until program completion
- Maintain a GPA of 2.0 or greater until program completion
- Graduate after June 30, 2022
- Not have any other existing service obligation with other entities, including other OSHPD programs
- Not be in breach of any other health professional service obligation
- Commit to providing a twelve-month service obligation in a medically underserved area upon graduating
- Provide 32 hours or more per week of direct patient care upon graduating
VNSP participants must be currently accepted or enrolled in an approved Vocational Nursing program.
Practice Site Eligibility Requirements
- Upon graduating, providers must work in one of the following eligible geographic or site designations:
- Health Professional Shortage Area-Primary Care (HPSA-PC)
- Primary Care Shortage Area (PCSA)
- Registered Nursing Shortage Area (RNSA)
Find our if your practice site is located in a Qualifying Geographic Designation.
- County Facility
- Correctional Facility
- Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) (see OSHPD’s FQHC List)
- Native Indian Health Center
- State Facility
- Veteran’s Facility
Cost of Attendance
The cost of attendance (COA) is the total amount it will cost for a student to go to college for one year, not for the whole program. The COA includes the following expenses:
- Tuition and fees
- On-campus room and board (or a housing and food allowance for off-campus students)
- Allowances for books, supplies, transportation, loan fees, and, if applicable, dependent care
The maximum award amount for the Vocational Nursing Scholarship Program is $4,000. OSHPD may award full, partial, or no funding to an applicant based on the applicant’s success in meeting the selection criteria, and the amount of available funds. Applicants will not be awarded more than their total cost of attendance for one year.
Applicants may be awarded up to two times.
Email: VNSP Support
Phone: (916) 326-3640
A PROGRAM OF THE HEALTH PROFESSIONS EDUCATION FOUNDATION